The NARI Terrestrial Science Working Group focuses broadly on scientific and engineering research within the Arctic's terrestrial realm.
Arctic landmasses and the diverse range of habitats, ecosystems, and populations they support are among the fastest warming environments on Earth. To foster impactful research into the causes, manifestations, and impact of Arctic change, the Terrestrial Science Working Group will focus on the following priority areas.
- Establishing via observational and palaeo data the full capacity of the Arctic environment for change
- Resolving the impact of permafrost thawing on Arctic hydrology
- Understanding terrestrial carbon sinks and sources and their linkages with Arctic climate
- Assessing ecological resilience of Arctic ecosystems in the face of modern and projected climate change
- Projecting impacts of rising temperatures on land-based transport links and infrastructure
MORE TO COME.